Cigarette found to have caused Young Road fire

BELMONT — A three-alarm fire which severely damaged the second and third floor of a Young Road structure Wednesday night was caused by careless disposal of smoking materials, according to Belmont Fire Chief David Parenti.
Parenti said that the person who reported the fire and later jumped to safety from a second story deck into the back of a pickup truck to escape the flames was the only person in the four-unit apartment structure when the fire broke out.
''His only exit, a stairway down from the wrap around deck, was engulfed by flames,'' said Parenti.
He said that the building is owned by James Cookman, Jr., who was on vacation in Florida when the fire took place.