Published DateBELMONT — After a public hearing Monday evening, selectmen voted to authorize the town to apply for a Community Development Block Grant Public Facilities Fund for $355,000 for Phase 2 of the village revitalization project.
The application will be made to the N.H. Community Development Finance Authority, which awards grants on a competitive basis. If accepted, the town will retain $25,000 for administrative costs.
The Belmont village Revitalization Project is to energize an on-going effort to revitalize the village area and create a service and recreational center to provide for the needs and enjoyment of the community. The first phase began in spring of 2012 and is expected to be finished by summer of 2013.
Phase 1 includes reconfiguring Mill and Center Streets and upgrading the water and sewer along Main Street. Additional parking and more green space is included in Phase 1.
Phase 2 of the Belmont Village Revitalization Project will replace the waterlines in the village area including Gale, Spring, Nelson, Lawrence, the rest of Sargent, Memorial and School Streets.
A village businessman attended the public hearing and said he wanted to thank Busby Construction and the town for their effective management of the traffic during last summer's construction. There were no other public comments.
Town Administrator Jeanne Beaudin said if the town doesn't get the CDBG grant or the program isn't funded, Belmont does qualify for $242,000 in State Revolving Fund money, which according the state government website low-interest loans to communities for waste water projects.
Beaudin said in an e-mail earlier this week that the State Revolving Fund would be an option but would likely require additional funds to complete the estimated work for all of Phase 2.
She said she didn't know if the board would plan to move forward without the grant and that Phase 2 engineering is not yet available.