Published DateNORTHFIELD — A problem with a wood stove caused a first-alarm fire at a home off Reservoir Road yesterday afternoon.
Fire Chief Brad Ober said when firefighters arrived there was smoke showing from the eves and there was fire on the first floor.
Crews identified the holes in the first floor along with a fire in the basement. Ober said it was quickly extinguished.
He also wanted to commend the family's son who discovered the fire when he returned home from school.
"He did an excellent job of keeping the door shut and calling 9-1-1 and not entering the home," Ober said. "Damage was limited due to his actions."
He went on to say that the cause of this fire is accidental however it "is extremely important to ensure wood stoves and other heating appliances are installed and operated properly," Ober said.
Tilton-Northfield crews were assisted by Franklin at the scene and Belmont and Sanbornton provided station coverage.