Published DateFRANKLIN — Firefighters closed down a East Bow Street and Forest Street yesterday at 12:55 p.m. after learning the Department of Municipal Services inadvertently broke a natural gas line while digging for a water line.
Capt. Steve Fecteau said city workers realized it immediately and called the Fire Department.
Fecteau said gas leaked into two homes — one to the point where it was explosive — and one person had to be evacuated. He said Public Service of New Hampshire cut the power to the area while firefighters ventilated the building and Liberty Utilities repaired the gas line.
He said the incident lasted about 2 1/2 hours.
Belmont covered the Franklin Fire Station because Tilton-Northfield and Andover were both tied up on other calls.