Published DateGILFORD — Fire Chief Steve Carrier said one of two men who were inside a bob house that exploded on Smith Cove early Sunday morning received burns to his esophagus, face,legs and hands. He was taken to a hospital in Boston for treatment.
He said the other man was taken to Lakes Region General Hospital, where he was treated.
Both men were able to get to the shore and Carrier said the call that came in at 1:54 a.m. was from a woman on shore who heard the commotion.
The victims said they were lighting a gas heater in the 8 foot-by-8 foot bob house when it exploded. He said one wall and the door were blown out and the wall landed nearly 15 feet from the bob house.
He said there was a lamp, a stove, and a heater that were all fueled by propane.
Carrier said there are no regulations regarding bob houses but there are relatively few fire problems with them considering the number of them on New Hampshire's lakes.
He said his department filed a report with the New Hampshire Fire Marshal's Office.