A+ A A-

Bird watching walk at Ellacoya State Park on May 9

GILFORD — The Gilford Public Library invites the public to join birdwatcher, Mike Coskren and members of the Gilford Public Library staff for our 5th annual spring bird-watching walk on Saturday, May 9th from 7:30 – 9:30 am.

We will meet at Ellacoya State park and walk through the various habitats, listening and watching for birds that are migrating north. Trail conditions may be muddy, so wear appropriate footwear, and bring your binoculars and bug spray. The rain date for this program will be Saturday, May 16th. Contact the Gilford Public Library at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 524-6042 for more information.

Last Updated on Thursday, 30 April 2015 08:38

Hits: 68

Danbury to hold Touch-A-Truck event on May 24

DANBURY — The Danbury Recreation Department is sponsoring Touch-A-Truck, a free family event where children and adults will have the opportunity to get up close and touch and feel construction vehicles and emergency vehicles on Sunday, May 24 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Danbury Village.

Expected vehicles include dump trucks, plow trucks, loaders, excavators, bulldozers, log truck, skidder, police cruisers, fire trucks and other heavy equipment vehicles. Participating are the Danbury Highway, Police and Fire Departments; NH State Police; NH Fish and Game; NH Department of Transportation; Sharp Logging; Phelps Construction and Elmwood Farms.

There will be qualified operators available to explain each vehicle, what it does and how it works. An invitation is extended to everyone to attend and the event will be held rain or shine. For more information contact James Farmer at 568-7258 .

Last Updated on Thursday, 30 April 2015 08:33

Hits: 140

New Horizons Band performing at Taylor Community

LACONIA — The New Horizons Band of the Lakes Region, under the direction of Mary Divers, presents an afternoon concert at Taylor Community's Woodside Building on Saturday, May 9 at 2 p.m.

The band will feature Gershwin Classics, selections from the Grand Canyon Suite, marches and highlights from the Sound of Music. The group consists of musicians from many towns throughout the Lakes Region and Concord, the band is open to all ages. The group includes those interested in learning an instrument to professional players with diverse levels in-between. Divers, who is the conductor and band founder, holds a bachelor's degree in Music Education from West Chester University in Pennsylvania. She welcomes all new musicians to the New Horizons Band, whose belief is "Music is for Life!"

The program is open to the public. A free-will donation will be accepted for the band, which is a non-profit entertainment group. To RSVP and ensure seating call 524-5600, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Last Updated on Thursday, 30 April 2015 08:02

Hits: 74

Raptor rehabilitator to give presentations at Squam Lakes Natural Science Center on May 9

HOLDERNESS — Wildlife rehabilitator Tom Ricardi will be coming to the Science Center of New Hampshire on Saturday, May 9 to present Predators of the Sky. Two programs with limited seating will be at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. and each will last 90 minutes

This program features live birds of prey including Bald Eagle, Golden Eagle, Red-tailed Hawk, Great-horned Owl, and Peregrine Falcon.

Presenter Tom Ricardi is a licensed rehabilitator and wildlife biologist. Ricardi spent more than 35 years as a Fish and Wildlife Game Warden in Massachusetts. He now runs Massachusetts Birds of Prey Rehabilitation Center in Conway, Massachusetts. Ricardi's groundbreaking work with Bald Eagles resulted in captive-bred Bald Eagles reproducing in the wild and captive-bred chicks being adopted into wild nests.

Ricardi started his rehabilitation center in 1972 and has since taken in more than 100 birds every year, 60% of which are released back into the wild. The other 40% have injuries that prevent survival in the wild but allow Ricardi to showcase their specialized traits in his great family program.

Cost: $12 for members; $14 for non-members; $25 combination program and trail pass.

Predators of the Sky is generously sponsored by Iberdrola Renewables. Representatives from Iberdrola will be on-hand to talk about wind energy and wildlife rehabilitation.

Last Updated on Thursday, 30 April 2015 07:54

Hits: 152

The Laconia Daily Sun - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy
Powered by BENN a division of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette