GILMANTON — Four generations of Gilmanton artists will exhibit their art work at the Gilmanton Year-Round Library during the month of April. Dawn Moore, and her daughters Ryan Russell and Amy Russell will be joined by Amy's daughter Jovie Smith to exhibit their work in widely varied media: oil paintings, pen and ink drawings, pencil drawings, pastel, charcoal, watercolor, mixed media and ceramics.
Dawn Moore studied at North Western Ct. Community College. Ryan Russell, studied art at Pine Manor College and Keene State College. Amy Russell, studied art at Pine Manor College. All of the artists are in the field of education - Ryan works at Barnstead School, Amy at Gilmanton School, and Dawn at Kingswood. Jovie Smith, Amy's daughter, is a guest artist and she attends Gilmanton School. All are long-time residents of the Gilmanton/Alton area.
An artist reception will be Saturday, April 12 from 1-3 p.m. at the Gilmanton Year Round Library (GYRL) Rte. 140, Gilmanton. The public is welcome to meet the artists and view the exhibit.
Last Updated on Thursday, 10 April 2014 10:14
TILTON — The winter skating season wrapped up on Saturday, February 22 for the Magic Blades Figure Skating Club with its 17th annual skating exhibition at the Tilton School Ice Arena. Skaters in the MBFSC program come from all over the region: Belmont, Bristol, Campton, Center Harbor, Concord, Center Barnstead, Franklin, Gilford, Gilmanton Iron Works, Hebron, Holderness, New Hampton, Northfield, Plymouth, Sanbornton, Tilton and even one skater from Newton MA.
Magic Blades holds classes at the Arena Monday evenings from September through February and finishes every year with a show celebrating the achievements of its members from age three through adult.
This year, several young members completed the US Figure Skating Basic Skills curriculum. Ila Bartenstein, Maggie DeVoy, and Colleen Harriman all earned certificates acknowledging passing the Freestyle 6 level; the highest award in the Basic Skills Program. Adult skater, Celeste Quimby, finished her Basic 1-8 levels and entered the ranks of Freestyle this year, her third year of skating with Magic Blades.
Other skaters represented the Club at a variety of events around New England this winter, including Maggie DeVoy's recent success at the prestigious Skating Club of Boston—the East Coast home of US Figure Skating—winning gold in the Preliminary Test Track division.
Sarah Steenbergen was also recognized by the Club. A senior at Sant Bani School, Sarah had skated in middle school with Magic Blades in Waterville Valley, but dropped it for many years. As a junior in high school, Sarah was encouraged to pick up the sport again and with hard work, dedication and a lot of practice quickly moved through the Basic levels and entered the Freestyle levels over the summer. Sarah is applying to college now. She has some acceptances but is waiting to hear from some schools before making a decision on her future.
This year's exhibition was Magic Blades' quadrennial tribute to the winter Olympics.
· The youngest skaters, Emma May, Tessa Richardson, Karis Sweeney, Frank Sweeney, Mason Vose and Keenan Wilcox represented Switzerland's Downhill Ski Team.
· Basic 1 and 2 skaters Isabella Jenna, Kyleigh Jenna, Lauryl May, Abigail Seal, and Julie Vose came out strong as the Jamaican Bobsled Team.
· The English Curling Team was represented by Basic 3 skaters Kylee Abbott, Abigail Gilbert, Beckett Gilbert, Kylie Hall, Rhiannon O'Gara and Bridget Wilcox.
· The (gold-medal winning) Canadian Hockey Team comprised of Grace Denney, Elizabeth Johnson, Vivian Kennell, Jordyn McElroy, Mariam Rabuck, and Dominique Yasharian; all Basic 4 skaters.
· Ellie Beaudet, Johnny Beaudet, Max Marinace and Jillian Weaver, Basic 5, skated as the Russian Biathlon Team.
· Basic 6 skaters Ellie Nicolas and Lilly Wright were graceful as the pairs skating team from China.
· The Spanish Snowboard Team included Freestyle 1 and 2 skaters Emily Alperin, Reilly Gray, Laurel Heiner, Olivia McLean, and Sarah Steenbergen.
· The Advanced Freestyle skaters, Ila Bartenstein, Maggie DeVoy and Colleen Harriman were the US Figure Skating Team.
· Adults Rose Marie Marinace, Dina Rabuck, Celeste Quimby and Julie Vose skated as the Speed Skating Team from the Netherlands.
Magic Blades, skaters young and old, are invited to join the complimentary program at the state of the art arena at Plymouth State University. The Plymouth State Skating Academy holds lessons on Sunday nights during the winter and Tuesday nights during the summer, and shares the same USFS curriculum and professionally trained staff with Magic Blades.
For more information about both programs visit www.magicblades.org and www.plymouth.edu/arena/ for program information and skating times.
Last Updated on Thursday, 10 April 2014 10:07
MEREDITH — The Lakes Region Energy Healing and Wellness Practitioners Meetup group will be holding their first meeting on Thursday, April 17 at 6 p.m. at Sacred Waters Yoga Studio in Meredith.
"We want to create a place for New Hampshire-based healing and wellness practitioners and coaches, plus those interested in alternative healing to gather for sharing, learning and networking," said organizers Barbara Belmont and Catherine Turgeon, certified EFT practitioners.
Future meetings will be held the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. The location - Sacred Waters Yoga Studio - is a wonderful, inspiring space overlooking gorgeous Lake Winnipesaukee. Attendees may enjoy a yoga class before the meeting and/or bring dinner to eat in the dining area or outside by the lake. Consider joining this Meetup as a place to stretch and grow in a healing, nurturing community. For more information and to RSVP, go to www.meetup.com.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 April 2014 08:31
GILFORD — A Chowder and Chat will be held Monday, April 14 in the Community Room at Wesley Woods at noon. With Spring finally in the air
people will gather for some soup, bread, and dessert and fellowship with others.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 April 2014 08:24
- Free Cookies, Punch (& Carrots) with the Easter Bunny at Kellerhaus
- Rabies clinic to be held in Tilton on Saturday
- Workshop on care and maintenance of backyard grapes in Gilford on April 16
- History of the Titanic program in Moultonborough
- Faith, Hope and Love Foundation’s annual Dinner Dance & Auction to be held on April 26
- AutoServ Hosting AARP Smart Driver Course