GILFORD — Gilford's Thompson-Ames Historical Society (T-AHS) is pleased to announce that the organization has been awarded a $26,199 matching preservation grant from the New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP). LCHIP is an independent state authority that makes matching grants to New Hampshire communities and non-profits to conserve and preserve New Hampshire's most important natural, cultural and historic resources.
Thompson-Ames, with the assistance of Gilford resident Carol Anderson, applied to LCHIP last year with the hope of receiving funding for critical repairs that are necessary on the historic Benjamin Rowe house in Gilford Village. The house is currently in need of a new wood shingle roof, repointing of a number of its exterior bricks, and chimney repairs to stop leaking. The total estimated cost of the exterior repair project is approximately $53,000. T-AHS is responsible for raising the matching funds. The Town of Gilford has allocated funding in the amount of $10,000 to the project.
Built in 1835, the Rowe House caught the attention of LCHIP officials as it is one of Gilford's best preserved capes and is the only known cape in the state with a design that features four chimneys placed along the walls of a central hallway so as to provide fireplaces for all four of the first-floor rooms. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The house is owned by the town of Gilford and is located within the historic district of Gilford. Beginning in 2003, it was leased to T-AHS so that the organization could maintain and exhibit the building as a historic house museum. The town pays for repairs to the plumbing, heating, and electrical systems, while T-AHS provides and pays for the heat, electricity, interior cosmetic work, as well as maintains the gardens with the help of the Opechee Garden Club.
It has long been the desire of the historical society to renovate the ell of the Rowe House. The town and T-AHS have grouped the renovations into a three-phase project. The first phase addresses the exterior repairs, phase two encompasses the renovation of the ell, and phase three includes the renovation of the second floor of the house.
T-AHS was established in 1943 and is a volunteer, not-for-profit organization designed to preserve and celebrate the cultural history of Gilford. In addition to the its contributions to the upkeep of the Rowe House, the society owns and maintains both the Union Meetinghouse and the Mt. Belknap Grange, both in Gilford Village.
- Category: Community Announcements
- Hits: 142