BRISTOL — RSVP & The Volunteer Center is working with Newfound Area Senior Services and the Bristol UCC to bring Bone Builders to the Newfound Region. The group meets every Tuesday and Friday from 9:30-10:30 at the Bristol UCC on Church Street. Trained co-leaders for the group are Rebecca Herr, Phyllis Schofield, Ginny Arsenault, and Carleen Stickney. Weights are provided; participants need only come in comfortable clothes and closed toed shoes.
RSVP Bone Builders is no-impact weight training program geared to older adults to improve bone density and balance. Bone Builders helps to prevent osteoporosis in both men and women and for those already diagnosed with osteopenia, the program can help to build new bone mass.
Bone Builders will help people get the required permission from their physician so they can get started. There is no fee; a daily donation of 50 cents is requested to cover administrative costs, but no one is turned away. WFor more information call Rebecca Herr 744-6526.
Last Updated on Monday, 20 October 2014 10:36
LACONIA -- With the arrival of fall and its colder temperatures, the Laconia Fire Department is reminding the public about certain safety measures.
With more people starting up their furnaces, and stoking the fireplaces and wood stoves, there is a greater chance for carbon monoxide (CO) problems and chimney fires.
Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the "Invisible Killer" because it's a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas, the Fire Department points out. More than 150 people in the Unites States die every year from accidental nonfire-related CO poisoning associated with consumer products, including generators. Other products include faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces.
Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). These include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness. High level CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness, and in some cases ultimately death.
To guard against the dangers of CO the Fire Department urges people to install CO alarms outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of your home, use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows and vents, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris, drive vehicles out of the garage immediately after starting, and replace CO and smoke detectors according to manufacturer's recommendations.
If a CO detector goes off the department advises that homeowners first determine if anyone in the home is experiencing any symptoms of CO poisoning. If any symptoms are present, or the detector instructs you to, they should evacuate the home immediately and stay out until the Fire Department checks the residence and deems it safe to re-enter. They should call 9-1-1 and advise that the detector is activating and if anyone is experiencing symptoms.
It is also important to take safety precautions regarding wood stoves, fireplaces and chimneys.
Chimneys or wood stoves should be inspected and cleaned annually by a competent and qualified chimney specialist. The area around the hearth should be cleared of debris, decorations, and flammable materials. Glass doors should be left open while the fire is burning. Leaving the doors open ensures that the fire receives enough air to ensure complete combustion and keeps creosote from building up in the chimney.
Those with fireplaces should always use a metal mesh screen whenever a fire is burning. It is also important to install stovepipe thermometers to help monitor flue temperatures. In addition air inlets on wood stoves should be kept open and supply to fireplaces should not be restricted. Failing to do this can cause creosote buildup that could lead to a chimney fire. Also, the department urges using fire-resistant materials on walls around wood stoves, and that garbage or piles of piles of paper or Christmas trees should never be burned in woodstoves or fireplaces.
More information is available by calling the Laconia Fire Department Fire Prevention Office or picking up informational brochures at the Laconia Fire Stations at 848 North Main St., (Business phone: (603)-524-6881), or 7 Lucerne Ave. in Weirs Beach.
Last Updated on Thursday, 16 October 2014 08:00
PLYMOUTH — The Enterprise Center at Plymouth will present a workshop on ways to protect intellectual property on Tuesday, Oct. 21, from 8 to 10 a.m.
This workshop, which is part of the center's Small Business Legal Series, will be led by Kim Peaslee, of the legal firm Devine Millimet. Peaslee will explain how to identify intellectual property and ways to protect it. The program is designed for artists, musicians, engineers, inventors, writers, and anyone else who has an idea, creation, or product they want to protect.
Following this workshop, a Devine Millimet lawyer will be available for consultations at the ECP. As a member of the firm's Patent, Trademark and Licensing Practice Group, Peaslee assists clients with a wide range of intellectual property matters. With years of experience in both patent and IP litigation for legal firms in Boston and Nashua before moving to Manchester. Peaslee has experience with patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and litigation matters.
This program is supported by the NH Community Development Finance Authority, Plymouth State University, and the Economic Development Councils of Belknap and Grafton Counties.
Last Updated on Thursday, 16 October 2014 07:53
MEREDITH — Paint Night, to benefit the Inter-Lakes High School Band and Chorus, will take place at the Inter-Lake High School Cafeteria, Tuesday, October 21, 6:30-9:00 pm. Cost is $30 per painter and proceeds will help offset costs for the ILHS Band and Chorus trip to Nashville, Tennessee, planned for the spring of 2015.
Last Updated on Thursday, 16 October 2014 07:48
- Dr. Sax’s Dixie Band playing at Taylor Community on Sunday
- Bruins legends in town for event to benefit injured boy
- Comedy at Pitman’s Freight Room on Sat.
- Play with food at Moulton Farm’s Pumpkin Festival Saturday & Sunday
- Greater Lakes Child Advocacy Center plans annual gala, other events
- T-BONES, Cactus Jack’s participating in Salvation Army Turkey Plunge