GILFORD — Gilford's three historical buildings will be open from 9 a.m. to noon for tours during Old Home Day. All are invited to visit them before the parade and afterwards.
The 1857 Grange (located on 8 Belknap Mountain Road at the beginning of the parade route) will be open. In the Homestead Room individuals can see for themselves what an early settler's one room home might have looked like; the Store has items that might have been sold, plus an interesting assortment of early tools and a printing press.
At the 1834 Meetinghouse (located at 24 Belknap Mt. Road across from the entrance to the Village Field) there are many items that pertain to the history of Gilford, such as an early ballot voting box, wreaths made of human hair, and early school desks. For many years it has been a tradition for Kathy Salanitro of Ox-K farm in Gilford to take part in the parade and then have her two teams of oxen at the 1838 Rowe House (beside the elementary school) for all to pet and even try leading them. This year she will be there for approximately an hour after the parade. There will also be a pictorial display showing the steps that Mrs. Alting's second grade class and Mrs. Bryant's fourth grade class took as they created bricks that now line the herb garden that was originally created by Mrs. Oeller's second grade class a few years ago.