LACONIA — Laura Brusseau and Ashley May Halsey are back at it again.
These two local young women founded Dancing with the Lakes Region Stars Charity Event in 2010 as a way to pay for Inter-Lakes High School students to travel to Denver, CO to participate in a Habitat for Humanity trip. The event raised enough money to send the students free of charge to partake in a life changing volunteer opportunity. Now, four years later,it is a staple event in the Lakes Region that residents look forward to each and every year.
Brusseau and Halsey explain themselves as just two young women wanting to make a difference in the community.
This year seven local professionals were chosen and paired up with a professional dancer. Each pair will be dancing for a Lakes Region Charity that is near and dear to their hearts. The winner of the event will receive 50% of the shows proceeds to his/her charity. The other six dancers will divvy up the remaining 50% for their charities.
This year's event will be held Saturday, March 8 at 6 p.m. at the Inter-Lakes High School auditorium.
Dancers will include:
1. James Abreau, local community volunteer ,with Erica Kloetz, owner of Stages Dance Academy of Laconia, dancing for the WLNH Children's Auction Fund.
2. Bryan Halperin, Executive Director of the Winnipeasaukee Playhouse, with Trista Patten, dance teacher at Stages Dance Academy of Laconia, dancing for the Winnipesaukee Playhouse Scholarship Fund.
3. Krista Marrs, Editor of the Laconia Citizen, with Christy Dunn, owner of Broadway North in Belmont, dancing for the Laconia Santa Fund.
4. Gina McGuire, local author and educator, with Shelvy Parke, professional dancer out of Meredith dancing for the NH Humane Society
5. Kyril Mitchell of Bank of New Hampshire with Kelsey Piper, pProfessional from the Plymouth State Dance Team, dancing for Hands Across the Table
6. Meghan Noyes, Plymouth Police Officer, with Suzanna Derynioski,professional from the Plymouth State Dance Team, dancing for Lakes Region Child Advocacy Center
7. Kerri Parker , Town Clerk of Meredith, with Jessica White, professional dancer from Lakes Region Dance, dancing for the American Cancer Society NH Branch.
Tickets for the anticipated sell out event will begin in mid-February. Tickets are $15 each and 100% of the show proceeds will go to the seven charities. Also, new this year, community members that bring in a nonperishable canned good will be entered into a drawing to win a one night stay at Mills Falls! Canned goods will be donated to a local food pantry in honor of the Mix 94.1 FM's Cash and Canned Food Drive Program.