SANDWICH — The North Sandwich Friends Meeting (Quaker) invites the wider community to join in Sandwich's 250th Celebration at the historic Meeting House on Sunday, August 18 at 10:30 a.m.
Quaker Meetings (Society of Friends) began in Sandwich in 1790 and the first Quaker Meeting House was built in 1804 in Center Sandwich. In 1830 the peak population in Sandwich was 2,744 and the Quaker population was 700. In 1905 the first paid minister was hired and programmed meetings began. The Meeting ceased programmed meetings in the late 70's. Meeting for worship in the historic Meeting House, built in 1881, is now silent with occasional guest pastors.
The Meeting for Worship will celebrate Old Home Week with an Open House and a musical worship service, a combination of a programmed and a silent meeting. There will be a brief presentation of the Quaker Testimonies. Nancy Moore with her guitar will lead the service. Ray Stineford will pump the historic organ.
Childcare is provided. After the Meeting for Worship, guests are invited to view the large lending library and enjoy a potluck lunch.