Published DateLACONIA — Irwin Automotive Group, 59 Bisson Avenue, completed a 6 week renovation of their Toyota/Ford service waiting area. The new state of the art area includes; free Wi Fi, free coffee, free bottled water, large flat screen TV, kids play area, quiet reading area, comfortable lounge chairs with tables, and a business center with areas for work, 2 computers to use, printer, fax machine, copier, scanner and cell phone charger.
Chris Irwin of the dealerships said "we are very pleased with the design, layout, and functionality of our new waiting area. It is warm, inviting, and full of amenities to make your wait more enjoyable. We understand that getting your car serviced is not exactly the most exciting thing in the world to do. We set out with the objective of creating a space that would help make the wait more pleasant and have certainly accomplished that."
Two companies from Gilford managed the project. NCM Management was the contractor, and Peter Stewart of Stewart & Associates was the Architect. According to Irwin "both companies were exemplary to work with."
Visit www.irwinzone.com to see pictures of the new area.
The "Irwin Zone" was founded in 1951 by Robert H. Irwin, as a Lincoln Mercury dealership. It added a Ford franchise in 1955. Peter Irwin, second generation, added Toyota in 1979, and then added Scion in 2002. The Irwin Zone's Used Car Center was built in 1994 and was located at 446 Union Ave in Laconia.
In 2009 the Irwin's completed a 12,000 square foot expansion of their Bisson Avenue location, which now totals 72,000 square feet on more than 15 acres and 600 vehicles. Laconia Quicklane Tire and Auto Center was started in the late fall of 2010, and in 2011 the Irwin Automotive Group expanded to include Hyundai. The Used Car Center was converted into a brand new state of the art Hyundai Facility during the winter of 2012.
Irwin Automotive Group has completed a 6 week renovation of their Toyota/Ford service waiting area. (Courtesy photo)