Help available for those lacking heat or power

CONCORD — The arctic cold weather has left many people with broken pipes, fuel shortages or power outages. District One Executive Councilor Joseph Kenney urges everyone to look out for their neighbors and to make sure those in need know how to access help.

"It is important to check in on your neighbors and family members to see if they need any assistance," Kenney said. "The State of New Hampshire has an initiative led by Granite United Way called '211 New Hampshire.' By calling 2-1-1 (1-866-444-4211 out of state) citizens can get information on how to address their current energy needs. Also, the Governor's Citizen Services number is 603-271-2121."

Kenney said there is a fuel distribution problem in the state. "According to the Director of Emergency Management, there is no oil shortage in the state of New Hampshire; however, there is a shortage of drivers and a slowdown in distribution," Kenney stated. "Emergency Management is working with local emergency directors to help citizens in the worst situations to facilitate vendors or to create short-term solutions until fuel deliveries can be made later." Emergency Management can be reached at 603-271-2231.

Kenney also urged low to moderate income people citizens to contact their local Community Action Programs for help with fuel assistance by visiting The Office of Strategic Initiatives, which handles the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, can be reached at 603-271-2155. Another resource is ServiceLink, which helps coordinate appropriate resources. They can be reached at  or by calling 1-866-634-9412.

Kenney urged citizens who have problems connecting with anyone to call his office at 603-271-3632.